Brooklyn Fashion+Design Accelerator Research Fellow and Production Coordinator Tara St James of Study NY, has been working with Kiva and Kiva Zip as a lender for over 5 years and according to Tara, it’s been a tremendously rewarding experience. Kiva is the first and largest micro-lending service in the world, and has distributed $658 million over 10 years, in 85 different countries, among 1.5 million small businesses. Kiva Zip is the branch of Kiva focused on US-based small businesses and Study NY is was just registered to accept loans through Kiva Zip!
(Here’s where you come in.)
Currently in a fundraising period, for every loan Study NY currently receives, Kiva Zip will match that loan up to $500, effectively doubling the amount you lend. The funds from this loan will go towards financing Tara’s production costs for the Conversations in Craft project which includes expanding her product offering by financing the production of a collection of shoes in Mexico City where she currently collaborates with shoe producers, Taller Nu, who train and employ women working in a Mexico City prison to provide them with an employable skill upon their release.
Donated money will also go to:
– $6000 for production of shoes in Mexico City
– $2500 working capital to develop a new collection employing women artisans in 3 different countries
– $1000 distribution of promotional materials for these collaborations
– $500 development costs for a second round of shoes for next season, employing more women in Mexico
This is a loan and not a donation; you get paid back. If you would like to support Tara, please follow the step-by-step instructions listed below.
(1) Click the following link: https://zip.kiva.org/ loans/13341/i/drwk You must use this link.
(2) Select the amount you would like to lend in the panel on the right-hand side
(3) Click the orange “Lend Now” button
(4) Click the white “Register” button
(6) Click the orange “Register” button
(7) You should be redirected back to your checkout basket. Confirm the amount and click “Checkout”
(8) Choose to “Pay with your PayPal account” or “Pay with a debit or credit card”
(9) Fill out your payment information and click the orange “Pay” at the bottom of the page
Tara says: “Every dollar helps, and I would sincerely appreciate your support! And as a lender you will receive special perks on my web shop, which I’ll announce later via the Kiva Zip site, but you gotta lend to get them!”
Thanks in advance for supporting this great cause!